On ne sait jamais!

I haven't written in awhile. I've been busy lately...but mostly lazy really. I don't have any grand excuse as to why I haven't updated this blog recently.
In the past week (or so) I played in my second handball match. It was the best game for my team, but we tied the game. I must admit that I am not head over heels for the sport, I do enjoy playing in handball matches. Also, in the past week I finished reading Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince). 
It had been awhile since I read the book in English and I had never read it in French so I decided to try reading it again. Although it a children's book, I found that it wasn't super easy to read and some of the ideas were kinda complex. When you read it with the perspective of an adult, the story is completely different. It's actually very philosophic. The title of this post, "On ne sait jamais!" (One never knows), is a quote from the book. Although there are many quotes that I adore from the book, I choose this one because I thought it was appropriate at the moment. This past week, I've been hearing back from colleges in the U.S. I haven't been stressed out during my stay in France, but this week has been difficult for me to keep focused. Before coming to France, I tried to be organized and always preferred to have everything planned out well in advance. Being here, I've learned to embrace uncertainty. I've needed to adjust to this new lifestyle and just go with the flow. I realized that there are just some things that you can't plan ahead--like Life! I am extremely fortunate to have to opportunity to stay here for the entire year. So I've been trying to seize every opportunity that presents itself. A half a year has already flown by and I am looking forward to taking advantage of the rest of my time in France. I'm starting to go off subject so I'll get back to my point. What I'm trying to say is that this past year I did not enjoy having college decisions looming over my head. At first, I found that not knowing where I would end up a year from now was scary and it made me nervous. Now, not knowing what lies ahead is exhilarating! That's why I love the quote "On ne sait jamais!" because there is so much truth to it. I have no idea where I'll be in a year (...or for that matter in 10 or 20 years from now). So I guess no matter what happens with this whole college process, I will be content. :) 
Ok, now I'll actually tell you about my week instead of giving myself a pep talk. Last Friday I went to the cinema with some friends to celebrate Cynthia's 18th birthday. We went to see "Vingt ans d'ecart" (20 year gap...like as in difference). It was about a Parisian "cougar" mom that falls in love with a college student. It wasn't an amazing film, but I did manage to understand almost everything the characters said. 
We went to Café Espérance (Hope Cafe) where I got a Perrier mineral water. Ahah! So French! 
The birthday girl, Cynthia!
Les filles (The girls)
Olof, Me, Marie, Chloé, Anaïs, Manon, and Cynthia 
Olof and me 
On Monday, we finished school early so we found better things to do than Math homework...

Here's some French songs that I thought I'd share. Some I stumbled upon, other friends told about. Enjoy!  
"Julie la petite olive" avec Les Wriggles
The musical group, Les Wriggles, are like the French version of the Flight of the Conchords. The songs sound like innocent children's songs, but if you understand the lyrics you'll find that their songs aren't necessarily made for kids. The song that I chose isn't of their inappropriate songs. 

"Paris va bien" avec Sexion d'assaut 

Sexion d'assaut was popular in France. This is one of their newer songs. I can't get enough of French rap... :) 
SHY'M "On se fout de nous"
This song was (relatively) popular at the beginning of the year. 
SHY'M "Je suis moi"
I only heard this song two times before. I'm not a huge fan of the song itself, but I liked the circus theme of the music video.

À la prochaine, 
Becca 

0 comments:

Post a Comment